Our culture tends to praise the busy and overworked. I call bullshit for several reasons:
- Being busy is a sign that you're not in control of your life. Most people who are "busy" are just being inefficient. @timferriss talks about this, so does @dereksivers
- Keeping ourselves “busy” is usually an easy way of distracting ourselves from the harder questions in life such as, “What am I doing with my life?” or “Do I really like what I’m doing?”. The projected answers to these questions are too scary for most to consider, so they’d rather live in the “slightly more comfortable” and praised fantasy of living a “busy busy busy” lifestyle.
- I you can’t decide what you want to do with YOUR time because you’re “busy”, you should not be praised for it. That is like praising someone for being enslaved by their schedules. Remember that busy does not equal freedom or success.
So, how do you counteract the busy bug? 🐛
Rest days. Relaxing days. Recharging days.
You need them for working out, or overworking.
Without them, you actually get less results AND burnout.
After a workout, your muscles need the time to repair the stress you’ve put them through. After a day’s work, your brain needs the same.
Sleep serves to re-energize the body's cells, clear waste from the brain, and support learning and memory. It even plays vital roles in regulating mood, appetite and libido.
So, when is your rest day?
For me, it's Sunday.
I have a nice healthy breakfast. I meditate in a hot bath. I catch up on the shows I've been dying to. Have lunch with a friend. Whatever will make me happy and relaxed.
Mainly, I force myself to do very little or exactly what I want that day.
Here’s what’s important for us:
- Taking the time to appreciate and enjoy life outside of business.
- Resting our brains, so that we aren’t overstressed or anxious.
- Distancing ourselves from the day-to-day routines, so that we can observe the “big picture” creatively, and re-evaluate the way we are currently doing things.
None of that can happen without sleep. Check out @dave.asprey for more perks on sleep.😴😇🙌